- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Operations Management
- Operations Research and Decision Analysis
- Supply Chain Management
Dr. Syed Mithun Ali received his Ph.D. majoring in supply chain risk management from Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan in 2016. He received both his B.Sc. and M.Sc. Engineering in Industrial and Production Engineering (IPE) from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) with honors in 2007 and 2009 respectively.
His research interests lie in supply chain management and supply chain risk management and tying that to supply chain sustainability.
To optimize a supply chain and to achieve sustainable supply chain objectives, Dr. Ali`s research attempts include the application of artificial intelligence/expert systems, operational research tools and techniques, system dynamics, structural and interpretive structural equation modeling tools and techniques, as well as several multi-criteria decision-making approach to supply chain/supply chain risk planning and decision making.
- Supply Chain Management
- Probability and Statistics
- Financial and Managerial Accounting
- Industrial Management
a) Journal Publications (recognized and refereed journals/proceedings):
- Karmaker, C. L., Ahmed, T., Ahmed, S., Ali, S. M., Moktadir, M. A., & Kabir, G. (2020). Improving supply chain sustainability in the context of COVID-19 pandemic in an emerging economy: Exploring drivers using an integrated model. Sustainable Production and Consumption. In Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2020.09.019
- Ali, S. M., Hossen, M. A., Mahtab, Z., Kabir, G., & Paul, S. K., “Barriers to Lean Six Sigma Implementation in the Supply Chain: An ISM Model”, Computers & Industrial Engineering, ID: 106843, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2020.106843
- Moktadir, M. A., Kumar, A., Ali, S. M., Paul, S. K., Sultana, R., & Rezaei, J., “Critical success factors for a circular economy: Implications for business strategy and the environment”, Business Strategy and the Environment, In Press. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.2600.
- Siddique, M. N. A., Hasan, K. W., Ali, S. M., Moktadir, M. A., Paul, S. K., & Kabir, G., “Modeling drivers to big data analytics in supply chains”, Journal of Production Systems and Manufacturing Science, 2(1), 0002,2020. http://www.imperialopen.com/index.php/JPSMS/article/view/26
- Ahmed, S. K., Sivakumar, G., Kabir, G., & Ali, S. M., “Regional aircraft selection integrating fuzzy analytic hierarchy process (FAHP) and efficacy method”, Journal of Production Systems and Manufacturing Science, 1(2), 63-86. Retrieved from http://www.imperialopen.com/index.php/JPSMS/article/view/28
- Karuppiah, K., Sankaranarayanan, B., Ali, S. M., & Kabir, G.,“Role of Ergonomic Factors Affecting Production of Leather Garment-Based SMEs of India: Implications for Social Sustainability”, Symmetry, Vol. 12, No. 9, ID: 1414, 2020. https://doi.org/10.3390/sym12091414.
- Sambasivam, V. P., Thiyagarajan, G., Kabir, G., Ali, S. M., Khan, S. A. R., & Yu, Z., “Selection of Winter Season Crop Pattern for Environmental-Friendly Agricultural Practices in India”, Sustainability, Vol. 12, No. 11, ID: 4562, 2020. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12114562.
- Paul, S., Kabir, G., Ali, S.M., & Zhang, G., “Examining transportation disruption risk in supply chains: A case study from Bangladeshi pharmaceutical industry”, Research in Transportation Business and Management, (In Press), ID: 100485, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rtbm.2020.100485.
- Karuppiah, K., Sankaranarayanan, B., Ali, S. M., Chowdhury, P., & Paul, S. K., “An integrated approach to modeling the barriers in implementing green manufacturing practices in SMEs”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 265, ID: 121737, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121737.
- Chowdhury, N.A., Ali, S.M., Paul, S.K., Mahtab, Z. and Kabir, G., "A hierarchical model for critical success factors in apparel supply chain", Business Process Management Journal, (In Press), 2020. https://doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-08-2019-0323.
- Roy, S., Das, M., Ali, S. M., Raihan, A. S., Paul, S. K., & Kabir, G., “Evaluating strategies for environmental sustainability in a supply chain of an emerging economy”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 262, ID: 121389, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121389.
- Roy, S.A., Ali, M., Kabir, G.,Enayet, R., Suhi,S.A., Haque, T., & Hasan, R., “A framework for sustainable supplier selection with transportation criteria”, International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2, Pp. 77-92, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1080/19397038.2019.1625983.
- Shohan, S., Ali, S. M., Kabir, G., Ahmed, S. K., Haque, T., & Suhi, S. A., “Building theory of green supply chain management for the chemical industry”, Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal, In Press, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1108/MEQ-11-2019-0239.
- Rabbi, M., Ali, S. M., Kabir, G., Mahtab, Z., & Paul, S. K., “Green Supply Chain Performance Prediction Using a Bayesian Belief Network”, Sustainability, Vol. 12, 3, Pp. 1-19, ID: 1101, 2020. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12031101.
- Fartaj, S.R., Kabir, G., Eghujovbo, V., Ali, S.M., &Paul, S.K., “Modeling transportation disruptions in the supply chain of automotive parts manufacturing company”, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol., 222, ID: 107511, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2019.09.032.
- Moktadir, M.A., Rahman, T., Ali, S.M., Paul, S.K., & Nahar, N., “Examining barriers to reverse logistics practices in the leather footwear industry”, Annals of Operations Research, In Production, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-019-03449-y
- Zaman, S., Ali, S.M., Kabir, G., Ahmed, S.K.K., Suhi, S.A., & Haque, T. “Green Supply Chain Management in the Chemical Industry: Structural Framework of Drivers”, International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, 26, No. 8, Pp. 752-768, 2019. http://doi.org/10.1080/13504509.2019.1674406.
- Moktadir, M. A., Ali, S. M., Jabbour, C. J. C., Paul, A., Ahmed, S., Sultana, R., & Rahman, T., “Key factors for energy-efficient supply chains: Implications for energy policy in emerging economies”, Vol. 189, No. (15 December 2019), Pp. 116129, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.116129.
- Ahmad, N; Rabbany, G., & Ali, S.M., “Organizational and human factors related challenges to ISO 20000: Implications for environmental sustainability and circular economy”, International Journal of Manpower, (ahead-of-print), 2019. https://doi.org/IJM-08-2019-0374.
- Moktadir, M.A., Dwivedi, A., Ali, S. M., Paul, S. K., Kabir, G., Madaan, J., “Antecedents for greening the workforce: Implications for green human resource management", International Journal of Manpower, (ahead-of-print), 2019. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJM-07-2019-0354.
- Rahman, T., Ali, S.M., Moktadir, M.A., & Kusi-sarpong, S., “Evaluating the barriers to green supply chain management implementation: An example from an emerging economy”, Production Planning & Control, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537287.2019.1674939.
- Bappy, M.M., Ali, S.M., Kabir,G., & Paul, S.K., “Supply chain sustainability assessment with Dempster-Shafer evidence theory: Implications in cleaner production”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 237, No. (10 November 2019), ID: 117771, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.117771.
- Suhi, S. A., Enayet, R., Haque, T., Ali, S.M., Moktadir, M.A., & Paul, S.K., “Environmental sustainability assessment in supply chain: An emerging economy context”, Environmental Impact Assessment Review, Vol. 79, No. (November 2019), ID: 106306, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2019.106306.
- Uddin, S., Ali, S.M., Kabir, G., Suhi, S.A., Enayet, R., & Haque, T., "An AHP-ELECTRE framework to evaluate barriers to green supply chain management in the leather industry", International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, 26, No. 8, Pp. 732-751, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504509.2019.1661044.
- Zubayer, A.A., Ali, S.M., & Kabir, G., “Analysis of Supply Chain Risk in the Ceramic Industry Using the TOPSIS Method Under a Fuzzy Environment”, Journal of Modelling in Management. Vol. 14, No. 3, Pp. 792-815, 2019. http://doi.org/10.1108/JM2-06-2018-0081.
- Chowdhury, N.A., Ali, S.M., Mahtab, Z., Rahman, T., Kabir, G., & Paul, S.K., "A structural model for investigating the driving and dependence power of supply chain risks in the readymade garment industry", Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 51, No. (November 2019), Pp. 102–113, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2019.05.024.
- Tumpa, T.J., Ali, S.M., Rahman, M.H., Paul, S.K., Chowdhury, P., & Khan, S.A.R, "Barriers to green supply chain management: An emerging economy context", Journal of Cleaner Production, 236, No. (1 November 2019), Pp. 117617, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.117617.
- Munny, A.A., Ali, S.M.,Kabir, G., Moktadir, M.A., Rahman, T., & Mahtab, Z., “Enablers of Social Sustainability in the Supply Chain: An Example of Footwear Industry from an Emerging Economy”, Sustainable Production and Consumption, Vol. 20, No. (October 2019), Pp. 230-242, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2019.07.003.
- Ali, S.M., Moktadir, M.A., Chakma, J., Kabir, G., Rumi, M.J.U, & Islam, M.T., “Framework for Evaluating Risks in Food Supply Chain: Implications in Food Wastage Reduction”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 228, No. (10 August 2019), Pp. 786-800, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.04.322.
- Moktadir, M. A., Ali, S. M., Paul, S. K., & Shukla, N., “Barriers to big data analytics in manufacturing supply chains: A case study from Bangladesh”, Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 128, pp. 1063-1075, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2018.04.013.
- Rahman, M. H., Tumpa, T. J., Ali, S. M., & Paul, S. K., “A grey approach to predicting healthcare performance”, Measurement, Vol. 134, No. (February, 2019), Pp. 307-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2018.10.055.
- Moktadir, A., Rahman, T., Jabbour, C. J. C., Ali, S. M., & Kabir, G., “Prioritization of drivers of corporate social responsibility in the footwear industry in an emerging economy: A fuzzy AHP approach”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 201, No. (November 2018), Pp. 369-381, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.07.326
- Mazumder, S., Kabir, G., Hasin, M., & Ali, S.M., “Productivity benchmarking using analytic network process (ANP) and data envelopment analysis (DEA)”, Big Data and Cognitive Computing, Vol. 2, No.3, 27, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/bdcc2030027.
- Moktadir, M. A., Ali, S. M., Kusi-sarpong, S., Shaikh, A.A., “Assessing challenges for implementing Industry 4.0: Implications for process safety and environmental protection”, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Vol. 117, No. (July 2018), Pp. 730-741, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2018.04.020.
- Moktadir, M. A., Ali, S. M., Mangla, S.K., Sharmy, T.A., Luthra, S., Mishra, N., Garza-Reyes, J.A., “Decision modeling of risks in pharmaceutical supply chains”, Industrial Management and Data Systems, Vol. 118, No. 7, Pp. 1388-1412, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-10-2017-0465
- Rahman, M. H., Rifat, M., Azeem, A., & Ali, S. M., “A quantitative model for disruptions mitigation in a supply chain considering random capacities and disruptions at supplier and retailer”, International Journal of Management Science and Engineering Management, Vol. 13, No. 4, Pp. 265-273, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/17509653.2018.1436009.
- Ali, S. M., Arafin, A., Moktadir, M. A., Rahman, T., & Zahan, N., “Barriers to reverse logistics in the computer supply chain using interpretive structural model”, Global Journal of Flexible Systems Management, Vol. 19, No.1, Pp.53-68, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s4017101701762.
- Moktadir, M. A., Ali, S. M., Rajesh, R., & Paul, S. K., “Modeling the interrelationships among barriers to sustainable supply chain management in leather industry”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 181, No. (April 2018), Pp. 631-651, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.01.245.
- Moktadir, M. A., Rahman, T., Rahman, M. H., Ali, S. M., & Paul, S. K., “Drivers to sustainable manufacturing practices and circular economy: A perspective of leather industries in Bangladesh”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol.174, No. (February, 2018), Pp. 1366-1380, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.11.063.
- Ali, S. M., Rahman, M. H., Tumpa, T. J., Rifat, A. A. M., & Paul, S. K., “Examining price and service competition among retailers in a supply chain under potential demand disruption”, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 40, No. (January, 2018), Pp. 40-47, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2017.08.025.
- Ahmad, N., Hossen, J., & Ali, S. M., “Improvement of overall equipment efficiency of ring frame through total productive maintenance: a textile case”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 94, No. (1-4), Pp. 239-256, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-0783-2.
- Hossen, J., Ahmad, N., & Ali, S. M., “An application of Pareto analysis and cause-and-effect diagram (CED) to examine stoppage losses: a textile case from Bangladesh”, The Journal of The Textile Institute, Vol. 108, No. 11, Pp. 2013-2020, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405000.2017.1308786.
- Ali, S.M. & Nakade, K. “Optimal ordering policies in a multi-sourcing supply chain with supply and demand disruptions-a CVaR approach”, International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, Vol. 28. No. 2, Pp. 180-199. http://doi.org/1504/IJLSM.2017.10007119.
- Ali, S.M., & Nakade, K., “Coordinating a supply chain system for production, pricing, and service strategies with disruptions”, International Journal of Advanced Operations Management, Vol. 8, No. 1, Pp. 17-37, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJAOM.2016.076206.
- Ali, S.M., & Nakade, K. A., “A mathematical optimization approach to supply chain disruptions management considering disruptions to suppliers and distribution centers”, Operations and Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 8, No. 2, Pp. 57–66, 2015. http://org/10.31387/oscm0200145.
- Nakade, K., Ito, A., & Ali, S.M., “U-shaped assembly line balancing with temporary workers”, International Journal of Industrial Engineering, Theory, Applications and Practice, 21, No. 6, Pp. 134-146, 2015. http://journals.sfu.ca/ijietap/index.php/ijie/article/view/1211.
- Ali, S.M., & Nakade, K., “Scenario-based supply chain disruptions management framework-a quantitative approach”, Innovation and Supply Chain Management, Vol. 8, No. 3, Pp. 81–91, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14327/iscm.8.81.
- Ali, S., Alam, M.I., & Bhowmick, S., “Organizational design in the context of supply chain sustainability: A conceptual model”, Management Science Letters, Vol. 2, No. 4, Pp. 1141-1154, 2012. http://doi.org/ 10.5267/j.msl.2012.03.006.
- Allama, M.M., Parvez, M.S., Ali, S.M., & Azeem, A., " An analytical hierarchy process for prioritizing the safety management elements for a manufacturing organization in Bangladesh", International Journal of the Analytic Hierarchy Process, Vol. 4, No. 2, Pp. 105-117, 2012. https://doi.org/10.13033/ijahp.v4i2.78.
- Mamun, A.A., Khaled, A.A., Ali, S.M., & Chowdhury, M.M., “A Heuristic approach for balancing mixed-model assembly line of Type-I using Genetic Algorithm”, International Journal of Production Research、 50, No. 18, Pp. 5106-5116, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2011.643830.
- Bhattacharjee, B., Azeem, A., Ali, S.M., & Paul, S.K., “Development of a CNC interpolation Scheme for CNC controller based on Runge-Kutta method”, International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, No., 5, Pp. 445 – 464, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJCAET.2012.048841.
- Ali, S.M., Dhar, N.R., & Dey, S.K., “Effect of Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) on cutting performance in turning medium carbon steel by uncoated carbide insert at different speed-feed combinations”, Advances in Production and Management, Vol. 6, No. 3. Pp. 185-196, 2011. http://apem-journal.org/Archives/2011/APEM6-3_185-196.pdf.
- Ali, S.M., Paul, S.K., A. Kamrul, & Azeem, A., “Forecasting of optimum raw material inventory level using an artificial neural network”, International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management, vol.17, No. 4, Pp. 333-348, 2011. http://www.ijoqm.org/abstracts/17-4-4-a.pdf.
- Farhana, Z., Ali, S.M., & Rahman, M.M., “Investigation on workplace environment and Safety- a case study in Rahimafrooz Batteries Ltd.”, International Journal of Quality and Innovation, Vol. 1, No. 4, Pp. 338-347, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJQI.2011.043490.
- Ahmed, T., Ali, S.M., Allama, M.M., & Parvez, M.S., “A total productive maintenance (TPM) approach to improve production efficiency and development of loss structure in a pharmaceutical industry”, Global Journal of Management and Business Research, Vol. 10, No. 2, Pp.186-190, 2010.
b) Conferences (national and international conferences and seminars):
- Ali, S. M., Sarwar, M.A., & Sultana, A., “Finding characteristics of Process Capability Index, Cpk with different distributions and sample sizes”, Journal of Quality and Technology Management, IV, No. 2, Pp. 5-11, 2008.
- Raihan, A.S., Islam, F., & Ali, S.M., “Modeling of Supply Chain Risks in the Leather Industry.” The 4th North American International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM), Toronto, Canada, 2019.
- Moktadir, M.A., Rahman, T., & Ali, S.M., “Examining Critical Success Factors to Humanitarian Supply Chain of Bangladesh: An Interpretive Structural Modeling (ISM) Approach”, Presented in the 3rd International Conference on Mechanical Industrial and Materials Engineering (ICMIME), RUET, Rajshahi, Bangladesh, 2017.
- Moktadir, M.A., Rahman, T., & Ali, M., “Critical Success Factors in Implementing Green Supply Chain Management Practices in Footwear Industry in Bangladesh – An Interpretive Structural Modeling Approach”, Presented in The 1st International Conference on Business and Management, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Pp. 447-452, 2017.
- Rahman, M.H., Tumpa, T.J., & Ali, S.M., “Predicting rainfall time series for disaster risk mitigation in Bangladesh using grey theory”, International Conference on Disaster Risk Mitigation, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2017.
- Ali, S.M., & Nakade, K., "Price and service competition of a supply chain system under real-time demand disruptions", Proceedings of International Symposium 2015 on Scheduling, Japan, Pp. 99-104.
c) Text books written for undergraduate / postgraduate levels (include names of the author / authors, title, year, publisher, etc.):
- Masud, A.A., Ali, S.M., & Dhar, N.R., "Modeling of chip-tool interface temperature in machining steel- an Artificial Intelligence (AI) approach", International Conference on Industrial Engineering and operations Management –IEOM, Malaysia , Pp. 638-643,
- Ali, S.M., & Dhar, N.R., Tool wear and surface roughness prediction using an artificial neural network in turning steel under minimum quantity lubrication, International Conference on Industrial Engineering-ICIE-2010, WASET Conference Proceedings, Malaysia, 62, No. 4, Pp. 607-616, 2010.
- Mamun, A.A., Ali, S.M & Dhar, N.R., "Tool wear prediction in turning steel under minimum quantityl lubrication using response surface methodology and adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system", The 3rd International Conference on Structure, Processing and Properties of Materials-SPPM, Dhaka 2010.
- Ali, S.M., Kabir, G; Ali, A; Shake, M.A.; Moktadir, M.A., “Transportation Mode Selection Framework for Apparel Industries: A Fuzzy AHP Approach”, In ‘Selected Studies on Economics and Finance’, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, England, 2018. ISBN-13:978-1-5275-1143-9.
*** Interested readers can visit the following links: